Chocolate Meringue Cake
Deserts especially made from chocolate are something that can be enjoyed without any occasion and perfect for even an afternoon tea. This Singita Double-Baked Flourless Chocolate Meringue Cake may be the one for you to wow your guests.
Ingredients for the cake:
350g dark chocolate
300g brown sugar
5 eggs, separated
Ingredients for the meringue:
4 egg whites
225g caster sugar
10ml vanilla essence
50g cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Line a 20cm x 30cm x 5cm baking pan with baking paper.
- Melt butter, chocolate and sugar together, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove from heat and mix in the egg yolks.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form, and then fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and bake for 40 minutes.
- After that make the meringues by whisking egg whites, adding a little caster sugar at a time and then the vanilla essence until stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, sift cornflour and cocoa powder together and fold into the meringue.
- Remove the chocolate cake from oven and reduce the temperature to 120 degrees.
- Top the cake with the meringue and return to oven for 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack.
Finally, indulge in this chocolatey goodness accompanied by a cup of coffee!