Travelers from China, Mexico, Hungary and Taiwan were the most favorable reviewers, while travelers from India, Turkey and Saudi Arabia most likely to leave low score ratings
Globally 84% of travelers read online reviews before choosing where to stay when they travel, according to Agoda’s Usage & Attitude Study 2019. Agoda, which has more than 34 million verified peer to peer reviews of hotels and Agoda Homes properties on its digital travel platform, today reveals the harshest and most favorable reviewers by market.
Overall, travelers from China, Mexico, Hungary and Taiwan are more likely to give high rating scores of between 8-10, and positive feedback on properties they stayed at according to review data compiled by Agoda. In fact Agoda’s data shows 77.1% of travelers from China gave their trips a high rating score (8-10), followed by Mexico (76.5%), Hungary and Taiwan (75.9%).
On the other hand, travelers from India, Turkey and Saudi Arabia ranked as the top three markets that provided most low ratings of between 1-3 in their reviews, and while these markets seem the most critical, there were also still 66.2% of Turkish travelers, 63.2% of Indian travelers and 61% of Saudi Arabian travelers who gave rating scores of 8-10 for their travel experience.
“Reviews are akin to personal recommendations by like-minded peers, and they influence customers’ decisions when they choose their accommodation. Those traveling with families might be interested in reviews on services such as kids’ club or babysitting, or the in-room amenities such as kitchens or cots, plus the location in relation to family friendly day trips and experiences. Whereas business travelers may be more interested in the quality of internet connection, and other leisure travelers may prioritize the breakfast selection or gym facilities. The 34 million verified reviews on Agoda provide an important resource to help travelers make the right choice, for their travel needs,” said Errol Cooke, Vice President of Global Partner Services, Agoda.
- Travelers from Malaysia don’t seem to sweat the small stuff, securing low positions for high and low review scores – #56 among most favorable reviewers, at #43 among harshest reviewers.
- 7% of Malaysian reviewers gave high scores and 2.7% gave low ratings.
- Agoda Travel Usage & Attitudes Study 2019
- Review data collected from 1 Jan 2013 to 31 Dec 2019 across 62 origin countries with more than 10,000 reviews submitted.
- Agoda review scores are between 1-10, with one being the lowest and 10 the highest ratings.